Friday, July 19, 2013

Greivis Vasquez Traded to the Sacramento Kings

Greivis Vasquez (2006-10) was traded from the New Orleans Hornets Pelicans to the Sacramento Kings. The Sacramento Bee says:
Vasquez comes to the Kings from New Orleans, who received Tyreke Evans from Sacramento in a sign-and-trade. Portland sent the draft rights to center Jeff Withey to New Orleans and two second-round draft choices to Sacramento. Center Robin Lopez and guard Terrel Harris were dealt to Portland from New Orleans as part of the trade, too.

Vasquez averaged career highs of 13.9 points and nine assists last season.

Also, they're excited in Sacramento:
Vasquez's passing skills give the Kings an opportunity to improve ball movement, which was often minimal last season as players resorted to one-on-one play.

The Kings want unselfish players who will be accountable, and Vasquez fits the bill.

"I think I can showcase my leadership skills, my talent and things that people haven't seen yet," Vasquez said. "I want to be the leader. I want to be the guy people follow. I didn't come here to score 40 points. I came here to make my teammates better."

Vasquez is currently injured, but he expects to be ready for training camp:
TThe Greivis Vasquez-Tyreke Evans deal was made official on Thursday, and Vasquez was able to talk to the local media on Friday. The usual platitudes were volleyed about -- his enthusiasm sounds great in print -- but there's also a bit of news: he expects to be medically cleared to resume basketball activities in eight weeks, putting him healthy in time for training camp, which typically begins in the last days of September.

Vasquez had surgery to remove bone spurs from his right ankle at the end of the Hornets' 2012-13 season.

No comments: