Friday, November 11, 2011

Parrish Brown Signs with Mazeikiai in Lithuania

Parrish Brown (2005-07) has signed with Mažeikių (Mazeikiai) of Lithuania's NKL (their second division basketball league) for the season. The team's press release has a long story about Brown: his childhood playing days, his pro career, his tattoos, his favorite foods, the challenges of communicating to loved ones back home, thoughts on the NBA lockout, etc. Unfortunately, something about their website blocks Google auto-translation, but you can still cut-and-paste the text into the translator if you want to know what the whole thing says. Some edited excerpts:
This year, joining Mazeikiai is 25-year-old, 185 cm tall American Parrish Brown.

His basketball career is no different from many Americans; he played the game in college representing the University of Maryland. American students' interest in basketball great - he played in arenas with seating for twelve thousand spectators. Some games were against famous universities such as Duke or North Carolina, in front of full arenas. Many of his teammates went on to play in the National Basketball League (NBA).

After university basketball, he did not achieve the NBA basketball dream, so he decided to try teams based in Europe. "My first season, I joined Bochum (in Germany); the club finished the season in fourth place. I went back home again after the German season to try to make the NBA Developmental League but didn't succeed, so I played two years in Mexico. I fared quite well, and hoped for a contract for a third year, but was denied. I was invited to play in Uruguay instead. At the end of the season in this country, my agent offered to send me to Lithuania, so I found myself in Mazeikiai "- said the basketball player.

According to Brown, in the beginning it is difficult to play in any foreign country, and it always requires a little adjusting. It is difficult in different countries because, although the rules of basketball are the same, they are officiated differently, so the calls are sometimes confusing. "I liked the German fans the most; they came to the hall with drums, making a huge amount of noise when you start the game. Meanwhile, in Mexico, where soccer is king, basketball fans were not like that. Although my teammates said that Mazeikiai fans give noisy support, during my first game I haven't seen that yet," laughed the athlete.

No comments: