Monday, April 11, 2011

Chris Wilcox Leaving a Good Impression

Chris Wilcox is having a huge late-season revival for the Detroit Pistons. In the month of April, he is averaging 12.7 points and 7 rebounds per game, well above his season averages of 7.3 points and 4.3 rebounds. And, he's doing it mostly off the bench with no real increase in his minutes. Wilcox recently scored a season high 27 points in a victory over Milwaukee. Excerpt from the Detroit Free Press:
"Chris Wilcox was outstanding," said coach John Kuester. "I thought the way Chris was so good was because of his ability to slash when people were posting up, getting offensive rebounds, showing his athleticism; something we needed and, hey, 27 points and 13 rebounds is pretty impressive."

MLive.com recently wrote about Wilcox's desire to leave Detroit with a good impression as he plays for a new contract next year:
"I just know these last games, I’ve got to go out and finish strong," he said. "I’ve got to go out and play hard and keep doing what I’m doing. Hopefully, I can leave a good impression on them when it is time for me to re-sign. I just want to be in a situation where I can grow and where I can help."

Unfortunately, with Detroit eliminated from playoff contention while the Pacers and Hornets have qualified for the postseason, Wilcox will now top the list of longest-tenured players without a playoff appearance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

chris wilcox has played well and doesn't really have plays run for him. his career has been a consistent case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. beig drafted to ride the bench behind elton brand for years. showing promise as a starter, then seeing his team draft kevin durant and green. then injuries in detroit.
and eventhough he may be playing for a new contract now, he's got talent and ability. it's finally good to see him get a chance to do something.