Friday, July 30, 2010

Juan Dixon Suspension Finalized: 1 Year Ban

Juan Dixon (1998-2002), who had been suspended indefinitely by FIBA for use of the steroid nandrolone back in February, has now been officially sentenced to a one-year ban (translation), retroactive to his positive test result on February 11, 2010. This means he will be eligible to play again on February 11, 2011.

The one year suspension is a disappointment, since speculation this spring was that the ban could be as short as 6 months, making him eligible to play again when leagues start up again this fall. However, the usual punishment for steroid use is a two year suspension, so FIBA may have recognized that this was a relatively minor offense. But with a one year ban, his former team, Unicaja, will not sign Juan before the start of the season, since February is too far away to await his contributions. Other teams will also probably be reluctant to sign Dixon before the 2010-11 season starts. So, we'll watch for Juan to be picked up by a team in need of a guard in late January or early February of next year.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Any news on Juan Dixon? I remember several sites reporting he was going to be drafted as a "high pick" in the D-League draft. I just checked the draft results and didn't see Dixon. Is he done? Is he not even good enough for the D-League or did he pull out of the draft?

Mike said...

No news on Dixon's plans for the season yet. Dixon wasn't in the D-League draft pool: http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/10/31/d-league-draft-pool-released/

My guess is that he's waiting for the suspension to be over and will play in Europe again this spring.