Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Crystal Langhorne Perseveres

Today in the Washington Post, Mike Wise writes about WNBA Eastern Conference Player of the Month Crystal Langhorne (2004-08), and how she is thriving this season after getting off to a rocky start in the WNBA a few seasons ago:
"One of the first games I coached her, I remember her coming up to me and saying, 'Thanks for not taking me out of the game,' " recalled Julie Plank, the Mystics' second-year coach. "I said, 'What?' She said, 'Thanks for not taking me out of the game.' I couldn't believe it. I said, 'Lang, you're not coming out of the game.' " [...]

If the Mystics without Alana Beard, sidelined for the season after surgery to repair a tendon in her left ankle, have been a summer surprise, so too has the continued emergence of Langhorne as a bona fide force in the post -- the former Terrapin not named Kristi Toliver or Marissa Coleman (her Mystics teammate) who one moment was sent back to the bench by former coach Tree Rollins and now is fresh off her first appearance in a WNBA all-star game.

No comments: