Monday, January 18, 2010

Dixon Lands in Spain

Dixon signs with UnicajaIt only took two weeks for Juan Dixon (1998-2002) to land with another top European team: Malaga Spain's Unicaja of the ACB league. Here's the team's press release (translation):
This morning, guard Juan Dixon was introduced as a new player of Unicaja in the press room of the Palacio de los Deportes Martín Carpena. The American player, chosen in 2002 at number 17 of the first round of the NBA Draft, played for 7 seasons in the NBA. Dixon in his college days was a star leading the University of Maryland to achieve an NCAA championship in 2002. The Baltimore-born player played until the end of December this season at Aris Thessaloniki, which was his first experience in European basketball.

During his introduction, the American guard said "I feel fortunate to have another chance to play in Europe after my time at Aris Thessaloniki, and have been introduced to the kind of basketball that is played in Europe. Also, I come to a great club, which plays in the two best leagues in Europe, the ACB and the Euroleague." About the team, Dixon said, "I have spoken with the coach and I explained the philosophy of my game on both offense and defense, and I think I can bring energy to the group on both sides of the court. I will try to lead the team by example." In the press conference, Juan Dixon was questioned on the current situation on the team, and said, "While I knew the team was unable to qualify for the Copa del Rey, I think from now on we should think about all that lies ahead in the two competitions we are playing in. In the two workouts that I have had with the team, I have seen people prepared to meet the challenge. "

In the round of questions, he was asked about the differences between European basketball and the NBA, to which Dixon replied, "In Europe, the game, on both defense and offense, is much more collective, while in the NBA the best player on the team creates and decides for himself or for the team. Also, in Europe every game is important and every team can spring a surprise, no time for relaxation. This reminds me of the NCAA, in the need to win every game in order to go to the next phase."

Dixon joins Unicaja just in time to join the team for the Euroleague Top 16 round.

1 comment:

Greg Abel said...

Juan scored 20 points in 24 minutes in his debut. Lighting it up, Spanish style.
http://www.as.com/baloncesto/articulo/excelente-debut-dixon-renacido-unicaja/dasbal/20100117dasdasbal_11/Tes