Sunday, November 01, 2009

Juan Dixon Signs with Aris in Greece

Juan Dixon (1998-2002), after being cut by the Atlanta Hawks last week, has signed to play this season with Aris Thessaloniki in Greece. Aris has recently been a very good team, finishing no worse than 5th place in the past 7 seasons. Aris was invited to the opening qualifying round for this year's Euroleague tournament, but was already eliminated last month.

Here are excerpts from the team's press release (translation here):
"It was a difficult decision to play for the first time in Europe after 7 years in the NBA. At the start of the season I participated in training camp with the Atlanta Hawks, then I was a free agent and I thought about what was the best choice for my family. After much thought, I accepted the proposal of Aris. I think I made an excellent choice," said the ace and added, "I promise that I will try hard to be good teammate for the team and hopefully that will help bring victories for the club, drawing on my experience in the NBA. [...]

As regards his role on the court, the American player said: "I can play both guard positions, either in position '1 'or the '2'. I spoke by phone with the coach of the team and he told me that he intends for me to be the second point guard on the court. I will try my best to do what is needed and what the coach expects from me."

At the same time, however, the leading scorer in the history of the Maryland Terrapins in the NCAA, Dixon showed a willingness to "bomb" the opposing basket, if necessary: "The past two years, I diverted from the road that led me to the NBA, meaning the scoring. I tried to make a transition from scorer to pure point guard, but that has not had the best result. My goal is to put the ball in the basket as much as possible. I came on to score!".

Note when reading the translation, Google is mistakenly translating the team name, Aris, as Mars.

1 comment:

bathmate said...

It looks so good in the post.
Many thanks for your nice posting, I like it.
Bathmate