Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Shay Doron to Play in Romania Next Year

Shay Doron (2003-07) isn't playing in the WNBA this summer, but she says she will be playing in Romania for MCM Targoviste next winter. In an aside in a story about the WNBA New York Liberty loss to the Washington Mystics last month, caught up with Doron in the audience and asked her about her plans for the year. An excerpt:
Doron will be playing in Romania this winter, with a club called Targoviste. As for why she is not returning to the WNBA, she said, "I'm enjoying my summer too much. I'm fortunate to have my European passport. I love playing overseas. You get to travel the world, and getting to live in another country is pretty cool. Plus, I get to see all these girls year round. We play against each other all the time."

Also, I don't have enough material to make this its own story, but I found a player transaction list showing that Shay's former Maryland teammate Aurelie Noirez (2003-07) is now playing for France's ASA Sceaux, in the French amateur NF2 league.

No comments: