Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Tony Massenburg Attempts a Comeback with the Wizards

Out of action since winning an NBA Championship with the San Antonio Spurs in 2005, Tony Massenburg (1986-90) is attempting to make a comeback. He has been invited to the Washington Wizards training camp this month:
Massenburg signed with the Washington Wizards on Monday, a day before training camp opens, and if he makes the roster at the end of the month, he would have a chance to play for a league-record 13th franchise.

"I'm happy to be here, there's no question about that. I'm definitely enthused about the opportunity," the 6-foot-9 forward said. "It's not easy to roll the dice on a guy who's 40."

The Richmond Times-Dispatch also has a good feature story on Tony's comeback from off-the-court injuries at age 40:
Two years ago, Tony Massenburg highlighted his 13-year NBA career by winning his first title as a member of the San Antonio Spurs. He'd come all the way from Sussex Central High School to basketball's highest level.

Just two weeks later, he'd all but dropped from sight. [...]

On a summer night in 2005, Massenburg fell asleep behind the wheel of his Mercedes sedan. By the time he woke up, he'd driven it into a concrete wall. One of his ankles was pretty well crushed, necessitating three weeks of confinement to a bed, eight more weeks in a cast and eight months of rehab. [...]

"I'd never been a star player, and I'd done some bouncing around," Massenburg said, "but I had not intended to retire before the accident. I had planned on playing two or three more years and I still want at least one more season."

The full story of Tony Massenburg's career is too long for me to post here, so I'll instead just direct you to his Wikipedia bio for all the details.

No comments: